- The Enterprise
- The Recorder
Three Charles County students were hospitalized today after holding their breath until they passed out as part of a “knockout” or “pass out” challenge, Superintendent of Schools James E. Richmond announced.
Several other students suspected of attempting the challenge were seen by school nurses.
By depriving the brain of oxygen, the challenge poses obvious risks and can cause someone to go unconscious and fall, potentially hitting their head on the floor, wall or other nearby objects.
School officials have been alerted that students might also participating in a “cinnamon challenge,” by eating large amounts of the spice, which could potentially block their windpipes, induce vomiting or cause respiratory distress.
“Students are learning about these challenges through social media sites such as YouTube and Facebook, which are blocked at our schools but easily accessible through smart phones and outside computers,” Richmond said. “We are reminding parents to monitor the sites their children are viewing in order to help us curb this dangerous behavior.”
Richmond also asked parents to work with the school system to educate students about the dangers of such dares, games and challenges.
County principals will speak to their student bodies Friday during morning announcements about the health risks of attempting the challenges and the potential consequences for such behavior. Students participating in the games face disciplinary action for disrupting the school day and parents will also be notified.
Parents who have information to share or need more information can call the office of student services at 301-934-7326.