Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
E-mail this article
Print this Article

A 20-year-old Huntingtown man was arrested Feb. 17 on charges including assault after he allegedly threw a meat cleaver at another man and cut his face.

John Louis Marks III was charged with first-degree assault, second-degree assault, reckless endangerment and dangerous weapon with intent to injure.

He is being held at the Calvert County Detention Center on $100,000 bond.

At 5:58 p.m. Feb. 17, deputies of the Calvert County Sheriff’s Office responded to a home on Baden Drive in Huntingtown for a report of a person suffering from a stab wound after receiving several 911 calls, according to charging documents.

Deputies said 19-year-old Edward William Barton had a deep laceration that was about 15 centimeters long to the left side of his face and was “bleeding profusely” from the wound. Barton was conscious but had lost a significant amount of blood, deputies said. He was taken to Calvert Memorial Hospital and later flown to Prince George’s Hospital Center due to his injuries. Barton’s injuries were not life-threatening “but the potential for permanent disfigurement was likely,” charging documents state.

Marks told deputies that Barton threatened him with a knife and Marks then threw a meat cleaver at him. Deputies said Marks was crying and angry but was concerned that he had severely injured Barton. Marks said he was not injured and he was taken to the sheriff’s office.

After being read his Miranda Rights and waiving them, Marks told deputies that the two men were arguing and Barton was holding a folding knife with a red handle by his leg. During the argument, Barton allegedly put the knife against Marks’ neck and threatened to cut him. A woman, who was at the house with them, apparently stepped between the two men and convinced Barton to step away from Marks and give her the knife.

Barton then went outside to his car, according to charging documents, and Marks ran into his house and grabbed a meat cleaver before running over to Barton’s car. As Barton was getting into his car, the two men continued arguing and Marks walked away. Barton allegedly followed Marks and “made a comment about putting a bullet in his [Marks’] head,” charging documents state.

Marks said he was standing about 15 feet away from Barton when he then turned around and threw the meat cleaver and hit Barton in the face, deputies said. Deputies said three people who were at the house and witnessed the events confirmed Marks’ story.