Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
E-mail this article
Print this Article

Discarded cigarettes sparked a two-alarm fire on the back deck of a three-story La Plata townhouse Monday afternoon that displaced those living in the home’s three condo units.

No one was hurt in the blaze, which began around 12:40 p.m. and caused an estimated $180,000 in damage, the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office reported.

Sixty firefighters from volunteer departments in La Plata, Waldorf, Bel Alton, Marbury, Bryans Road, Hughesville, Accokeek, Clinton and Naval Support Facility Indian Head responded to the fire on Charleston Court.

They put out the flames in 20 minutes and spent the next two hours chucking debris and scorched belongings out of the townhome’s windows.

At around 3:20 p.m., a young firefighter emerged from the smoldering remains with a live housecat. Covered in soot, the feline seemed otherwise OK.

One firefighter was taken from the scene with dehydration, Waldorf Volunteer Fire Department spokesman Jeff Duer said.

The fire burned through the entire home, but there was no damage to the adjacent townhouse, Deputy Fire Marshal Caryn McMahon said.

The fire was discovered by a neighbor, who smelled smoke coming from outside. She alerted one person who was in the burning townhouse, and all got to safety.

The displaced occupants are being helped by friends and family.