Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
E-mail this article
Print this Article

A Lusby man was arrested April 5 on charges of assault after he allegedly beat another man with a brick and sent him to the hospital.

Jarel Armand Stepney, 22, was charged with first-degree assault, second-degree assault and dangerous weapon with intent to injure.

He is being held at the Calvert County Detention Center without bond.

According to a Calvert Investigative Team press release, at 9:35 a.m. April 5, the Calvert County Control Center received a phone call from someone who said one man was beating another man with a brick at a home on Cove Point Road.

Fire marshals who were investigating a fire at another Cove Point Road home immediately responded to the location of the crime and allegedly saw a black man, later identified as Stepney, holding a large brick standing over a white man, who was laying on the ground. Deputy fire marshal D. Brenneman drew his weapon and ordered the suspect to drop the brick and step away from the victim, which he did. Deputy fire marshal M. Bean then arrested the man and deputies from the Calvert County Sheriff’s Office and Maryland State Police troopers arrived.

Deputies said several deep cuts to the victim’s face and scalp were bleeding profusely. The victim had lost a lot of blood and was lapsing in and out of consciousness, according to the press release. He was flown by MSP helicopter to Prince George’s County Hospital.

Stepney had blood on his clothes, his T-shirt was ripped around his neck and he had blood on his hands and forearms, deputies said. Stepney said he was not hurt and did not need medical attention. Stepney told deputies he fought the victim because the victim was hurting a member of Stepney’s family.

Deputies interviewed the victim at the hospital, and he said Stepney was watching television at the house and was not causing any problems. The two men decided to go outside and smoke cigarettes when, “for no apparent reason, Stepney started hitting [the victim] with his hands and fists,” the press release states. The victim fell on the walkway and Stepney allegedly got on top of him and continued to hit him with his fists until he grabbed a brick and hit him several times in the face and head with it.

The victim had several cuts on his face, head and scalp and while his injuries were extensive he is expected to survive, according to the press release.