Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
E-mail this article
Print this Article

A father and son were arrested May 23 after they allegedly fought each other and the father hit the son in the head twice with a baseball bat.

At 11:30 p.m. May 23, Maryland State Police troopers responded to a home in the 200 block of Sun Park Lane in Huntingtown for a report of a domestic disturbance. Troopers said they saw James D. Wilkinson III and his father, James D. Wilkinson Jr., involved in a physical altercation in the front yard.

James Wilkinson Jr., 52, was holding a baseball bat in his left hand and James Wilkinson III, 26, was holding onto both of his father’s arms. Troopers ordered James Wilkinson III to get on the ground where he was detained and troopers said they saw he was bleeding from several cuts on the top of his head.

James Wilkinson Jr. told troopers that he woke up to the sounds of loud yelling so he walked to the front door where he was confronted by his son, who was drunk. James Wilkinson III was threatening and yelling at his father, according to charging documents, so James Wilkinson Jr. told his son to stay outside but his son “began coming at him.”

James Wilkinson Jr. said he was afraid his son might assault him, so he picked up a baseball bat from behind the front door and hit his son twice on his head. James Wilkinson III fell to the ground, got back up and “threw his mother” into the screen door, according to charging documents.

James Wilkinson III’s mother told troopers her son had called her to pick him and his girlfriend up from the Dunkirk WaWa. She said she took her son back to the Sun Park Lane home where he started arguing with her and her husband, James Wilkinson Jr. She told troopers James Wilkinson III “went after his father” and James Wilkinson Jr. then hit his son with a baseball bat. She said James Wilkinson III pushed her into the screen door, troopers said.

Troopers said since James Wilkinson III was the aggressor, he was arrested and charged with second-degree assault. He was taken to Calvert Memorial Hospital for treatment for his injuries. He was later jailed at the Calvert County Detention Center and was released May 30 after posting his $7,500 bond.

James Wilkinson Jr. was arrested and charged with first- and second-degree assault and dangerous weapon with intent to injure.

He was released from the detention center May 24 after posting his $5,000 bond. Attempts to reach the family were not successful as of press time.