Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
E-mail this article
Print this Article

A judge ordered Thursday that two men be held in St. Mary’s jail in lieu of $75,000 bond each on assault charges alleging one of them tackled the host of a cookout and held him down in a campfire at his St. Inigoes home, while the other suspect punched and kicked him.

St. Mary’s sheriff’s deputies arrested Charles B. Jones, 48, of Mechanicsville and Joshua Joseph Yates, 23, of St. Inigoes in the area of a trailer park about three miles from the scene of Tuesday’s attack, court papers state, after the officers met with Daniel Evans, who had bruises on his face and disfiguring burns covering much of his back. An ambulance took him to MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital in Leonardtown.

Evans told police that he was having a cookout at his home with friends when an argument began involving him and the two suspects, and that Yates held him down in the small campfire while Jones beat him, according to charging papers filed by St. Mary’s sheriff’s deputy Trevor Teague.

“Evans stated he was in fear for his life and thought he might die,” Teague wrote in a statement of probable cause. “Evans ... was able to get away from both individuals and call for help. Evans stated both Jones and Yates did sustain injuries [while Evans was] attempting to protect himself in self-defense.”

Jones also was taken to the hospital for treatment of his own injuries, court papers state, before both suspects were incarcerated in the county jail, to await Thursday morning’s bond review hearing before District Judge E. Gregory Wells.

A public defender said in court that Yates was a roommate of Evans at the residence, where Jones, the owner of a drywall business, had been picking up Yates to take him to work. The public defender said Yates would no longer be living there, and that neither suspect would be having any further contact with Evans.

“I’m right in the middle of a job,” Jones said during the hearing, and the judge agreed to allow Jones work-release privileges during pretrial custody, if that would comply with the jail’s standards.

The judge also allowed $5,000 bonds in two charges of violation of probation against Yates from previous property crimes, but he noted the public defender’s remarks that Yates is on parole and now facing a retake warrant.

“As a practical matter, it doesn’t look like you’re going anywhere,” Wells said.