- The Enterprise
- The Recorder
While most county residents celebrated the Fourth of July without incident, a home in Lusby was damaged after a sparkler caused a fire on the home’s porch.
At 10:30 p.m. Wednesday, about 15 firefighters from the Solomons Volunteer Fire Department responded to a Lisa Lane home for a single-family house fire, according to a Maryland State Fire Marshal’s press release. The fire was controlled in about five minutes and no injuries were reported.
Officials said the fire began under the front porch of the home after a sparkler was dropped under the porch. The fire was discovered by a neighbor, the press release states, and caused about $1,000 in damage. The family was not displaced as a result of the fire, officials said.
Other than the fire, which officials said caused minimal damage, the rest of the county “appeared quiet,” said Lt. Steve Jones of the Calvert County Sheriff’s Office.
While there were “a few little skirmishes,” no one was arrested for being disorderly during the fireworks displays in North and Chesapeake beaches July 3 and Solomons Island July 4 or at any Fourth of July celebrations, Jones said. He said no one was arrested Wednesday for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
“It was very quiet,” Jones said.