The congregation at Marvin Chapel United Methodist Church in Mount Airy will celebrate the rebuilding and reopening of their sanctuary this month.
The building needed to be reconstructed after a fire resulting from a lightning strike caused more than $300,000 in damage in July 2011.
After the fire, the congregation also discovered that repairs needed to be made to the church’s log foundation. The damage to the foundation was not a result of the fire.
The church will hold its first worship service since construction began at the building at 10 a.m. Sunday. Assisting Pastor Earl Mason with the dedication service will be District Superintendent Vivian C. McCarthy and District Guide Edgardo Rivera.
A plaque honoring Nathan Chaney, who donated the land and lumber for the construction of the original Marvin Chapel in 1888, will also be dedicated at the service.
Joining the Marvin Chapel parishioners will be the congregation of their sister church, Prospect United Methodist Church, which welcomed the Marvin congregation to worship with them following the fire. Following the service there will be special music by the First Fruits Blue Grass Gospel Band. All are welcome.