- The Enterprise
- The Recorder
Fire officials have ruled a Thursday afternoon fire that displaced the operations of the Calvert Dialysis Center in Prince Frederick to be accidental after a cigarette was carelessly discarded in a nearby trash can.
At 1:44 p.m. Thursday, 42 firefighters from the Prince Frederick, North Beach, Dunkirk, Solomons, St. Leonard, Huntingtown and Benedict volunteer fire departments responded to a fire at the Calvert Dialysis Center at the intersection of Prince Frederick Boulevard and West Dares Beach Road, according to a Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office press release.
Lusby resident Chico Fabricante said he drove by the center on his way to get gas and saw a little bit of smoke coming from the center, but he thought it might have been the staff having a barbecue. After getting gas, he drove back by the center and saw “smoke and flames rolling from” the building.
“When I came back I could see the flames,” Fabricante said.
The fire, which was reported by employees, was controlled in about 20 minutes. Scanner reports indicated all smoke and fire were extinguished by 2:35 p.m.
No patients were in the building at the time of the fire and the three staff members that were inside “escaped without harm,” according to a Calvert Memorial Hospital press release issued Monday afternoon.
One firefighter was treated on the scene for heat stress, according to a Prince Frederick VFD press release.
About $150,000 in structural damage and about $50,000 in damage to its contents were caused by the fire, according to the press release.
Officials determined the fire was accidental from a carelessly discarded cigarette thrown into a trash can situated against a small storage container, which was next to the main building. The container quickly ignited, officials said, and the fire spread up the side of the building and to the roof.
Significant smoke and heat damage was done to the medical equipment, the press release states, and the business was displaced as a result of the fire. Repairs to the building have already begun, according to the CMH press release, and a “speedy return” to the facility is anticipated.
According to the CMH press release, all patients have been contacted and arrangements have been made for them to continue receiving care at local dialysis centers, including CMH and Renal Care Partners. Patients or physicians in need of assistance can contact Kelly Brown at 410-468-0900.