- The Enterprise
- The Recorder
Lightning bolts during Sunday’s storms struck and caused fires destroying a barn in Maddox and a home’s garage in Abell, according to 7th District volunteer firefighters reporting that lightning also hit a propane line that afternoon behind a residence in Clements.
The 7th District firefighters were joined by crews from the Mechanicsville, Leonardtown and Hollywood firehouses during their response to a 1:42 p.m. alarm about the barn fire on Danny’s Lane, according to an online report by 7th District Fire Chief J.A. Nelson. Water was shuttled to the scene from Chaptico wharf, and the firefighters were on the scene for more than two hours.
They were still working there at 3:24 p.m. when they were notified about the garage fire on Chasko Road, the fire chief reported, and additional Hollywood firefighters filling in at the firehouse in Avenue responded directly to that blaze. The 7th District firefighters leaving the scene of the barn fire first ensured that a homeowner on Grampton Road in Clements had extinguished the fire involving the propane line, before they went to the burning garage, accompanied by the Mechanicsville, Leonardtown and other Hollywood firefighters. Water was drawn from a nearby creek, and the garage blaze was brought under control within about 30 minutes.
No injuries were reported from any of the fires