ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT


FEATURED JOBS




Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Delicious
E-mail this article
Print this Article
advertisement

A Leonardtown area man suffered burns on his face Monday afternoon, state investigators report, when gasoline vapors from a leaking generator ignited after he brought the device inside to make repairs.

Kelly Jung, 48, initially was treated at MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital for his injuries from the 3:22 p.m. blaze at the Forrest Farm residence, and he later was taken to the Washington Hospital Center for a further evaluation, according to the state fire marshal’s office. Jung’s non-life threatening injuries consisted of first- and second-degree burns.

Forty volunteer firefighters, primarily from Leonardtown, rushed to Kelly and Monica Jung’s home on Pembrook Drive and had the blaze under control within five minutes, according to a notice of investigation from an initial response to the scene by deputy state fire marshal Melissa Bean. Damages to the two-story home were estimated at $15,000.

The home’s occupants had determined the generator was leaking fuel, the fire marshal’s office reports, and after they brought it into the basement to make repairs, vapors from the fuel were ignited as an electric sump pump automatically switched on to remove water from the basement.

jwharton@somdnews.com