Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
E-mail this article
Print this Article

Police have arrested a Brandywine man who they say intentionally struck his uncle with an SUV in a near-fatal hit-and-run Sunday night along Poplar Hill Road in Waldorf.

Dominique Akeem Hayes, 23, has been charged with first- and second-degree assault after a disseminated photo of the suspected vehicle led family members to call police, Charles County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Diane Richardson said.

Detectives determined that a dispute between Hayes and his uncle, 52, escalated Sunday to the point where Hayes intentionally committed the hit-and-run, Richardson said.

A passerby found Hayes’ uncle unconscious and lying on the shoulder near the road’s intersection with Slater Drive at 10:44 p.m., police said.

The man suffered severe trauma to his upper body and was taken to a nearby hospital. He was admitted in critical condition and remained listed as critical but stable Thursday afternoon, Richardson said.

Officers found vehicle parts at the scene that led investigators to believe the striking vehicle was a jade silver Infiniti QX4 manufactured between 2001 and 2004.

The sheriff’s office released a photo of the SUV on Monday and immediately heard from family members who suspected Hayes had been the one to hit his uncle, according to charging papers.

Investigators found a jade silver 2001 Infiniti QX4 with damage consistent with striking a pedestrian behind Hayes’ home in the 3200 block of Malcolm Road, the papers state. Parts missing from the SUV were consistent with those found at the scene of the accident.

Hayes spoke to investigators and admitted to driving the SUV after getting into an argument over his girlfriend with his uncle, court records state.

Hayes said he told his uncle to leave the house. The uncle, who didn’t have a car, left on foot. Hayes said at some point, he decided to drive after his uncle and that when he found him, he got out of the vehicle and continued the argument, charging documents state.

Hayes told police he then got back in the car and drove home.

Hayes’ family told police that they questioned Hayes about what had happened when he drove after his uncle and drew the conclusion that Hayes had struck him with the vehicle, the papers state.

A warrant was issued for Hayes’ arrest Tuesday. He was ordered held on $200,000 bail the next day, according to online court records.