Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
E-mail this article
Leave a Comment
Print this Article

Teen reports restroom assault

Fairfax County police are investigating a report of a 17-year-old girl who alleges a man assaulted her in the restroom of the Thomas Jefferson Library, 7415 Arlington Blvd. According to the girl, the incident occurred shortly before 9 p.m. Nov. 6.

Police said the teen told police she felt she was being followed by a man who she noticed had been watching her and following her throughout her day of studying.

In an effort to curtail him, she ducked into the restroom as she exited the building. He followed her in. She ordered him to leave, but he refused. The suspect touched and pushed her. She kicked him, screamed, and the suspect fled.

Library staff responded and called police. Police said staff members reported the man had been in the library on previous occasions, but they did not know of any previous incidents or assaults.

The suspect is described as black, medium brown complexion, ranging between 5 feet 7 inches to 5 feet 10 inches tall, and weighing about 160-180 pounds. He had a shaven bald head, brown eyes, a gap in his front teeth and a diagonal scar on his forehead. He wore a pale green, long-sleeved, button-up shirt with khaki pants. He carried a brown or tan soft leather briefcase.

The investigation is continuing. Fairfax County police detectives would like anyone who might have had contact with this individual to contact Fairfax County police at 703-691-2131.

Great Falls man killed by felled tree

Fairfax County police say a 56-year-old Great Falls man was killed Saturday when a tree he was cutting fell on him.

Police did not disclose the identity of the man but said he resided on the 900 block of McMillen Court in Great Falls. The manís relatives discovered him about 1 p.m., police said.

Fire and rescue crews were called to lift the tree, but police said the man already was dead.

Fugitive captured in Maryland

A man wanted for assaulting a girl at a Chantilly High School football game was captured at his Maryland home, U.S. Marshals said.

The U.S. Parole Commission issued an arrest warrant for John Earl Gorham of Bowie, Md., on Oct. 17, regarding his original conviction of sodomy, kidnapping and assault with the intent to commit sodomy.

Gorham previously was convicted and sentenced to 35 years on those charges.

U.S. Marshals said Gorham violated the conditions of his release by obtaining new charges in Fairfax County. Gorham was arrested for being drunk in public and for sexually assaulting a 14-year-old female at a Chantilly High School football game.

The United States Marshals Service and task force partners from the Diplomatic Security Service located Gorham at his residence on Church Lane in Bowie, Md. Gorham was arrested without incident and turned over to the U.S. District Court in the District of Columbia for prosecution.

Bank robbery in Oak Hill

Fairfax County police are investigating a bank robbery that occurred shortly after 1:30 p.m. Nov. 1 in the Franklin Farm area.

Police said a man entered the Capital One Bank, 13344-A Franklin Farm Road, implied he had a weapon and demanded money from a teller. The teller complied and the suspect fled. There were no injuries.

The suspect was described as white, older than 40 years of age, 5 feet 4 inches to 5 feet 7 inches tall, medium build and wearing a black zip-up style jacket, black pants and a black hunterís style hat.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Fairfax County police at 703-691-2131.

Body discovered in Falls Church house fire identified

Fairfax Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire at about 4 a.m. Oct. 29 in the Falls Church area of Fairfax County. The single family home is located in the 6600 block of Orland St.

Firefighters said they encountered a two-story Cape Cod style home fully involved with fire upon their arrival. Firefighters conducted an exterior fire attack due to the overwhelming volume of fire throughout the structure and said the second floor collapsed inside the home.

Firefighters said they brought the fire under control in about 20 minutes.

Firefighters reported hoarding conditions inside the home and said that as fire investigators were digging out the fire, they discovered a badly burned body, which was later identified as Christopher Lewis, 62, of that homeís address. According to fire investigators, the cause of the fire remains undetermined. The home was a complete loss. A nearby adjacent house received minor exterior fire damage. The cause of the fire is under investigation.

State attorney general wins Supreme Court case to lower residentís electric bills

In a decision released Nov. 1, the Virginia Supreme Court affirmed a decision of the State Corporation Commission regarding Dominion Virginia Power's recently concluded base rate case.

The court rejected the arguments advanced by Dominion, which would have allowed Dominion to earn a higher return on equity from customers than the SCC's interpretation of Virginia law allows.

Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli and his office represented Dominion's Virginia customers in the appeal. By statute, the attorney general represents the interests of electric ratepayers in such proceedings.

"I am pleased with today's result. We believe that both the SCC and the court were correct in their interpretation of the law" said Cuccinelli. "Customers will ultimately pay less for electricity because we were successful in the appeal. This will not only benefit Dominion customers, but Virginia's economy as a whole.Ē

Cigarette causes $150,000 fire damage to Annandale home

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department officials say an improperly disposed cigarette caused $150,000 to an Annandale home.

Firefighters responded to a house fire about 11 p.m. Oct. 28 in Annandale The single-family home is located in the 8400 block of Tobin Road.

Firefighters said they encountered heavy smoke and fire from the rear of the two-story home upon arrival. The fire spread rapidly up the exterior of the home and onto the deck, second floor, and attic. Firefighters brought the fire under control in about 15 minutes. Smoke alarms activated when the fire broke out, they said. Eight adults were displaced. Fire officials said one adult was transported to INOVA Fairfax Hospital for non-life threatening injuries.

VATF-1 returns home from helping storm victims in New Jersey

Chantilly-based search and rescue team Virginia Task Force One returned home Nov. 6 from aiding victims of Hurricane Sandy in New Jersey.

The team initially deployed to the Fort Dix, N.J., area, and subsequently, sent to Little Ferry and Moonachie areas to conduct search and rescue operations, partnering with New Jersey Army National Guard units and the North Carolina Air National Guard. The team also worked in Staten Island, N.Y.

VATF-1 conducted water rescue operations using inflatable boats and going door-to-door, evacuating residents during the first several days after the storm. They continued to help residents by providing various types of humanitarian assistance throughout the deployment period. All associated costs for VATF-1 are paid for by the Department of Homeland Security.

City of Fairfax Police Association conducts successful drive to aid storm victims

The city of Fairfax Police Association has received outstanding community support for its efforts to collect donations of supplies to assist in relief efforts in Staten Island, N.Y.

The Association is coordinating with the New York City Police Department to get the donated food, clothing and toiletries to those in need. During the past several days officers and civilian volunteers have collected and packaged two truckloads of supplies.

On Nov. 7, off-duty officers and civilian volunteers traveled to Staten Island to deliver the supplies. The drive to collect supplies was spearheaded by city of Fairfax Police Capt. Laura Kenyon, who was assisted by many other members of the agency who volunteered their time. Essential to the driveís success was the outstanding support received from throughout the community and the special assistance provided by local companies Ted Britt Ford and Wiygul Automotive.