- The Enterprise
- The Recorder
Sequan N. Henderson, 24, who was recently charged in a 34-count indictment for allegedly breaking into a home and robbing six people at gunpoint, entered an Alford plea Nov. 5 in Calvert County Circuit Court to one count each of first-degree assault and armed robbery.
An Alford plea acknowledges the state has enough evidence for a conviction but does not admit guilt.
Henderson, Thomas E. Brown, 24, and Jamar L. Wallace, 21, all of Prince Frederick, were indicted Oct. 15 on seven counts each of first-degree assault, conspiracy to commit first-degree assault, second-degree assault and conspiracy to commit second-degree assault and one count each of armed robbery, conspiracy to commit armed robbery, first-degree burglary, conspiracy to commit first-degree burglary, theft less than $1,000 and conspiracy to commit theft less than $1,000.
Brown and Wallace are both scheduled to appear in court for a pretrial hearing Jan. 1, 2013.
At 9:49 a.m. June 2, Calvert County Sheriff’s Office deputies responded to a home on Cassell Boulevard for a reported home invasion robbery. Three people told deputies that at 2:30 a.m. that morning, three black men wearing masks entered the home with guns and a knife and took several things.
The three men entered the house through the window and found a 25-year-old man sleeping in his bed. They restrained the man and duct-taped his hands and mouth before escorting five other people who were inside the home into his room at gunpoint.
The suspects asked all of them where “Sug,” the safe and drugs were, and the people told them they did not know where Sug was, according to charging documents. With one suspect guarding the door, the two other suspects “ransacked the house” and took a 32-inch television, gaming console, games, $120, an ounce of marijuana and 25 Percocet pills. The men left and the six occupants “fled the residence for fear the suspects would return.”
The victims told police one of the men was about 6-feet, 2-inches tall with a muscular build, was wearing a “Jason style hockey mask with a long beard” and appeared to be the “ringleader” of the robbery. This suspect had a shotgun with what appeared to be a scope on top, the victims said. The second suspect was about 5-feet, 6-inches tall wearing all black with a white T-shirt around his face and was carrying a knife during the robbery, the victims said. The victims told deputies the third suspect was wearing all black and had a larger handgun. The victims said they thought all three men were in their “later teens to earlier 20s,” according to charging documents.
On June 4, police received a phone call from someone who had information about the burglary. That person said their friends had seen a gaming console, games and a “Jason style hockey mask” inside Henderson’s house and had heard Henderson “going around bragging about robbing the white people,” according to charging documents. Investigators spoke to the caller again June 5, who said threats had been made against people in the area and that if they contacted the police, “Sequan would retaliate,” deputies said.
Deputies applied for and executed a search and seizure warrant for Henderson’s home June 6 and reportedly found a hockey mask, gaming console and the 32-inch television. Henderson was arrested and taken to the sheriff’s office where he was read his Miranda Rights, which he allegedly waived.
Henderson denied his involvement in the robbery and said he bought the items from someone for $300, according to charging documents.
DNA tests were conducted on the mask and concluded Henderson’s DNA profile matched the profile on the mask, according to a Calvert County State’s Attorney’s Office press release.
A sentencing hearing for Henderson is scheduled for Jan. 28, where he could potentially be sentenced to serve 45 years in prison.