Man dies from injuries in Oxon Hill house fire Sunday -- Gazette.Net


This story was corrected at 10:30 a.m. Nov. 27.

A man who was pulled from his burning Oxon Hill home Sunday has succumbed to his injuries.

The 59-year-old man was rescued from the fire at a one-story single-family house in the 5100 block of Boulder Drive, said Mark Brady, a spokesman for the Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department.

Firefighters received the call just before 5:30 a.m. and arrived to find the home with heavy smoke showing. The rescued man suffered burn and smoke inhalation injuries and was transported to the MedStar Washington Hospital Center Burn Unit in “extremely critical condition,” Brady said.

His wife was also transported to the hospital after experiencing symptoms of smoke inhalation, said Brady, who said she was in fair condition.

Thirty firefighters responded to the fire and managed to extinguish it within 15 minutes, with no injuries to any of them.

Damage to the home is estimated at $50,000, Brady said.

Brady said the initial cause of the fire is listed as accidental and according to fire officials, vapors from a kerosene space heater ignited while the heater was being filled inside the home.

Correction: The deceased was 59 years old.