Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
E-mail this article
Print this Article

A Maryland state fire marshal has determined that a mid-afternoon blaze Tuesday at a vacant Oakville home was started intentionally and authorities are looking for the culprits.

The fire was sparked when someone burned furniture inside the Mar A Lee Drive vacant house owned by James Johnson and Thomas Brady, according to Melissa Bean, deputy fire marshal.

“Someone had lit miscellaneous pieces of furniture in the basement” of the split foyer home, she said. She said she did not believe an accelerant was used.

The home has been vacant for a number of years, Bean said, and it had been vandalized, including with spray paint.

About 30 volunteer firefighters from Hollywood, Bay District, Leonardtown, Mechanicsville and the Seventh District fire departments responded after a neighbor reported the 2:23 p.m. fire.

It took the crews approximately 15 minutes to bring the fire under control, according to a release from the fire marshal’s office. It caused an estimated $75,000 of damage; no one was reported injured.

Anyone with information about the fire can call the fire marshal’s office at 443-550-6834.

Jesse Yeatman