Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
E-mail this article
Leave a Comment
Print this Article

Centreville Road crash claims one life

Fairfax County police said they were called to the scene of a crash reported at the intersection of Centreville Road and Compton Road shortly after 7 p.m. on Dec. 17.

Officers said they responded and subsequently summoned Crash Reconstruction detectives to the scene. The preliminary investigation determined that a 1999 Mercedes SL500, being driven by a 70-year-old Leesburg man, was traveling north on Centreville Road approaching Compton Road.

Police said a 1984 Oldsmobile two-door, being driven by 72-year-old Charles V. McCormick of the 5700 block of Ottawa Road in Centreville, was traveling southbound on Centreville Road approaching the intersection of Compton Road. McCormick attempted to turn left on to Compton Road and turned into the path of the oncoming Mercedes causing the Mercedes to strike the passenger side of the Oldsmobile. Police said McCormick was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead a short time later. Police said speed and alcohol do not appear to be factors in this crash.

Police said both drivers were wearing seatbelts.

Springfield man dies in I-395 crash

A fatal crash on Interstate-395 has caused the death of a Springfield man.

State police said that at 4:50 a.m. on Dec. 19, Virginia State Police Trooper G.J. Goldstein was called to the scene of a two-vehicle crash in Fairfax County.

The crash occurred in the northbound lanes of I-395 just south of exit 3 for Va. 236.

Police said a 2006 Subaru Legacy was northbound on I-395 when it ran off the left side of the highway and struck the guardrail. The impact caused the Subaru to cross back into the northbound lanes and strike a northbound 1999 Dodge Dakota pickup truck. The pickup truck then ran off the right side of I-395, struck the guardrail and overturned.

The driver of the Dodge Dakota, Ernest Campbell, 81, of Springfield was transported to Alexandria Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Neither the driver of the Subaru, Edward Flores-Curiel, 22, of Nevada, nor his adult female passenger was injured in the crash. Flores-Curiel has been charged with reckless driving.

The cause of the crash remains under investigation at this time. Police said alcohol was not a factor in the crash.

Catholic priest charged with sexual battery of male parishioner

County police say Catholic priest Father Luis Fernando Franco Henao, 40, has been charged with the sexual battery of an adult male on Feb. 2, 2012.

Police say the male victim reported Nov. 30 that he was sexually assaulted at Saint Bernadette Parish, 7600 Old Keene Mill Road, Springfield, while seeking support and guidance from Henao.

The victim, who has not been identified, alleges that he was inappropriately touched by Henao while seeking his spiritual support.

Henao turned himself over to police detectives Dec. 19. Police said he was processed and released.

Dulles CBP finds cocaine in stew jars

While inspecting a Guatemalan manís luggage Dec. 15, Customs and Border Protection officers discovered cocaine concealed inside the double walls of two jars filled with stew.

The man, who requested entry as a courier on business, arrived on a flight from El Salvador and was referred for a secondary examination to have his packages inspected. These inspections ensure that the contents comply with all customs, agriculture and other laws.

Among other things in the courierís packages, CBP officers discovered two jars filled with stew that felt too heavy relative to their size and contents. The jars were emptied and inspected revealing a plastic bag filled with a white, powdery substance that field-tested positive for cocaine secreted between the inner shell of each jar and its stainless steel lining. The combined weight of two plastic bags of cocaine was a little more than 1 kilogram, or 2 pounds, 4 ounces.

After extensive interviews the man was not criminally charged and CBP officers processed him for removal. However, during the processing, he expressed fear of returning to Guatemala. The man was detained and scheduled for an interview with an asylum officer. If his claim is not found credible he will be removed from the U.S. and barred from returning for a minimum of five years.

Woodbridge man sets Alexandria tow-truck on fire

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department fire investigators charged Reu Cruz Ortiz, 32, of Woodbridge with intentionally setting a vehicle on fire Dec. 12, in the Alexandria area of Fairfax County. Investigators charged Ortiz with two counts of destruction of personal property greater than $200, a class four felony.

A tow truck in the parking lot of Action Auto, 8100 block of Richmond Highway, was set on fire. There were no injuries. Ortiz is being held in the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center.

Tysons Corner restaurant fire

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a commercial structure fire at about 12:40 a.m. Dec. 15 in the Tysons area of Fairfax County. The commercial building, the Konami Japanese Restaurant, is located at 8221 Leesburg Pike.

Firefighters encountered heavy smoke coming from the rear of the one-story structure upon arrival. Firefighters forced entry into the restaurant and conducted an aggressive fire attack and quickly extinguished the fire. Firefighters contained the fire to the kitchen area. However, there was extensive damage to the roof. The restaurant was closed when the fire broke out. There were no injuries.

Damage is estimated at $100,000.

According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. The fire was caused by a microwave oven in the kitchen.

Accidental West Springfield townhouse fire

Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department units responded to a house fire at about 6:50 a.m. Dec. 12 in the West Springfield area. The single-family home is located at 8733 Sheridan Farms Court.

Firefighters encountered heavy smoke and fire coming from the rear and roof of the three-story townhouse upon arrival. Firefighters conducted an aggressive interior and exterior fire attack and brought the fire under control in about 15 minutes. The unfurnished home recently had been vacated. There were no injuries.

Damage is estimated at $100,000.

According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. An electrical wiring anomaly in the attic caused the fire.