- The Enterprise
- The Recorder
A tenant at a Hollywood house trailer that caught fire after it was evacuated in 2011 during Hurricane Irene was released last Friday on one day served in pretrial custody, as he acknowledged in court that prosecutors had evidence against him to support a charge of property destruction.
Marc David Wilson, now 35, originally was charged with first-degree arson from the August 2011 blaze on Timber Lane.
The fire occurred the day after Hollywood volunteer firefighters rescued Wilson, his wife and two 5-year-old girls during the storm, when falling trees trapped them in the trailer. The storm knocked out electrical service to the trailer.
The trailer’s owners told deputy state fire marshals that Wilson, a tenant since 2008, came to their home the next afternoon in a rental truck to request reimbursement of his security deposit, court papers state, and an inspector contracted by St. Mary’s County saw a rental truck traveling toward the trailer about half an hour later. A neighbor told the investigators that he saw a rental truck leave the trailer, and saw smoke coming from that area three or four minutes later.
Wilson was seen in a rental truck outside a convenience store in Hollywood, court papers state, where he borrowed a firefighter’s cellphone to call 911 and report that the trailer was on fire.
Grand jurors indicted Wilson last year on the arson charge, and his lawyer filed a plea that Wilson could not be held criminally responsible for his alleged behavior at that time due to a mental disorder. A judge ordered that Wilson receive a psychiatric examination, and the results from that examination were sealed.
Prosecutors amended the arson charge last week to the property destruction offense. A judge sentenced Wilson to three years in prison, suspended to the one day served after his arrest and three years of supervised probation, on the condition that Wilson pay $4,000 in restitution.