Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
E-mail this article
Print this Article

An Anne Arundel County woman has been charged in connection with a Jan. 22 single-vehicle accident in which alcohol was a contributing factor that led to a 25-year-old man’s death.

Arian L. Howard, 23, of Millersville was charged with negligent homicide – driving under the influence, negligent homicide – driving while impaired, failure to control speed to avoid a collision, negligent driving, reckless driving, driving while impaired by alcohol and driving under the influence of alcohol.

At about 11:16 p.m. Jan. 22, Calvert County Sheriff’s Office deputies responded to Lower Marlboro Road and Academy Drive in Owings for a reported serious car accident.

Deputies found a 2000 Ford Ranger pick-up truck in the front yard of a home on Lower Marlboro Road, according to charging documents, and a man lying in the grass several feet from the vehicle.

Howard allegedly told deputies she was driving. Deputies said a half-gallon bottle of rum that was almost empty was in the passenger seat of the truck. According to charging documents, Howard had glassy eyes, a strong odor of alcohol was on her breath and she told deputies she had four beers.

Deputies determined Howard was driving west on Lower Marlboro Road near Academy Drive and, as the vehicle went around the curve, Howard allegedly lost control for an unknown reason. The vehicle crossed the double yellow line, went off the roadway and became airborne, deputies said.

The vehicle landed and rolled over several times, during which time the passenger, Mark E. Grace III, 25, of Owings, was ejected from the vehicle, slid through the yard and came to rest against a tree, the press release states.

Prior to being taken to Prince George’s Hospital Center, deputies tried to perform a field sobriety test on Howard. Deputies said during the horizontal gaze nystagmus test, they observed a “lack of smooth pursuit in both eyes.” Further sobriety tests could not be complete because Howard was strapped to a backboard in an ambulance, deputies said.

At the hospital, deputies read Howard her Miranda Rights, charging documents state. Howard allegedly refused a blood test, but “due to the life-threatening injuries sustained by Grace,” Howard’s blood was taken and sent to the Maryland State Police lab to be analyzed.

Grace was taken to Calvert Memorial Hospital and later taken to University of Maryland Shock Trauma in Baltimore. He died the morning of Jan. 23.