- The Enterprise
- The Recorder
An accidental fire completely destroyed a St. Leonard home Saturday morning.
At 9:26 a.m. Jan. 26, about 60 firefighters from the St. Leonard, Solomons, Prince Frederick and Huntingtown volunteer fire departments responded to a one-story, single-family home on St. Leonard Road for a reported fire, according to a Maryland State Fire Marshal’s press release. The fire, which originated in the attic of the home, was controlled in about 30 minutes, the release states.
Officials said the cause was attributed to a fire in the chimney extending to the attic’s structural components.
A family member was taken to Calvert Memorial Hospital after being exposed to the cold as the fire departments worked to extinguish the fire, the press release states.
The fire, which completely destroyed the home, caused about $200,000 in structural damage and about $80,000 in damage to its contents. The American Red Cross is assisting the family.