Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
E-mail this article
Print this Article

And then there were two.

The Maryland Student Hockey League’s Chesapeake Cup was decided by some familiar foes after Northern and Huntingtown battled for the championship Thursday night at the Capital Clubhouse in Waldorf.

The game ended too late for inclusion into this edition.

The top-seeded Patriots (11-1 overall) punched their ticket to the final with an 8-1 win over St. Mary’s Ryken and the second-seeded Hurricanes (12-9) secured their berth following an 8-5 victory over Leonardtown. Northern and Huntingtown have squared off twice this season, with each team winning once.

The Patriots started off slowly against the Knights (8-9-1) as they scored their first goal of the game almost midway through the opening period but never looked back as they finished the period with five goals. The two Michaels — Santiago and Carr — each scored twice for the Patriots and Kyle Kampsen, Braeden McFadyen, Tristan Beeson and Kerry Henegar each added singles. Carr also added three assists and Santiago and Chris Ruyter each had two assists. James Layman made 15 saves.

Stephen Meyers scored the lone goal for the Knights off an assist by Patrick Bouchard and goalie Tucker Rhodes stopped 38 shots.

Huntingtown joined its county rival in the title game, thanks in large part to Tyler Sullivan’s four-goal night. Bryce Oursler, Joey Laiosa, Ben Camilletti and Matt Scott each scored once. Camilletti also added three assists, Oursler had two helpers and Sullivan and Colin Gray each added one, while Kody Powers made 37 saves in the Hurricanes net.

Huntingtown led 5-4 after two periods, but clinched the win after scoring three of four third-period goals.

Leonardtown (9-7) was led by Nicholas Pontorno, who scored his team’s first four goals. Cullen Bonnel scored once and had two assists and Pontorno, Alec Guarnero and Nick Wright each added one assist.

Joe Molina was credited with 19 saves in the Leonardtown goal.

The third-seeded Raiders earned their berth in the semifinals after rolling to an 11-0 quarterfinal win over Thomas Stone on Tuesday.

Sixth-seeded Stone (3-11) was held to five shots on goal.

“I told the guys that we were going to play a two-man forecheck and be very aggressive and we’re going to put the pedal down and we’re not going to let up,” Raiders head coach Gordy Bonnel said.

The fourth-seeded Knights claimed their quarterfinal win after breaking open a one-goal game and scoring the last eight goals of the game in an 11-2 win over La Plata.

The loss ran the Warriors’ winless streak to seven games.

“I think we got a lot of lucky breaks today,” Ryken head coach Chris Palombi said. “Obviously, La Plata came out and played a very physical game against us but every game, every line gets their breaks and I thought we caught a lot more than they did.”

Rhodes made 19 saves, but his best was his breakaway stop on Joshua Wenzinger in the third. Wenzinger came in alone, deeked right, went left, but Rhodes threw out his right pad to stop the shot.

La Plata (4-12-1) had 11 underclassmen on its 17-player roster.