Olney fire causes estimated $200,000 in damages -- Gazette.Net


This story was updated Friday, April 5, 2013.

An early morning house fire in Olney caused an estimated $150,000 in damage to the structure and $50,000 in damage to its contents, according to Montgomery County Fire and Rescue.

Crews were dispatched just before 2:30 a.m. on Thursday for a house fire in the 18400 block of Queen Elizabeth Drive, according to Fire and Rescue spokeswoman Beth Anne Nesselt. First arriving units encountered “heavy fire conditions” in the carport of the house and requested additional units, she said.

An occupant in the home “smelled smoke and quickly evacuated everyone from the home” and called 911, Nesselt said. The smoke alarm was activated, she added. The fire was quickly controlled and remains under investigation, she added.

The four occupants of the house have been displaced and the American Red Cross was contacted to assist them.

Fire officials remind residents to install working smoke alarms on every level of their homes, make sure smoke alarms are replaced every 10 years, test smoke alarms monthly and change the batteries annually.

They also recommended establishing a meeting place outside your home in the event of a fire and practice escape drills at least two times per year, and to make sure your house number is clearly visible from the street in the event of an emergency.