Man in custody after three-hour search in Rockville -- Gazette.Net


This story was updated at 11 a.m. on April 25, 2013.

Police have a man in custody they say allegedly threatened his girlfriend and had a gun.

Rockville Police Maj. Bob Rappoport said the suspect was taken into custody at 9:25 a.m., ending a three-hour search for the man throughout Rockville.

The Montgomery County Police SWAT team was called in to find the man in Rockville this morning after his girlfriend said he threatened her and he had a gun.

About 60 officers, mostly SWAT team members, covered the Rockville neighborhood. Officers told nearby residents to stay in their homes while the search was being conducted.

SWAT teams and police cruisers blocked off Azalea Drive at Nelson Street for much of the morning. Residents driving by on Nelson Street slowed down to look while groups of officers stood by in the nearby ballpark and shopping center’s parking lots.

Rockville resident Kristen Cromwell is the program director at Georgetown Hill daycare, located two blocks away from Azalea Drive.

“It’s been a little nerve-wracking,” she said.

Cromwell said police told her the children and staff at the daycare were “perfectly fine and safe” Wednesday morning. The daycare made the decision to keep the children inside until police activity died down. The children were not told of the incident.

A few parents decided not to drop their children off at the daycare Wednesday morning because of its proximity to the Azalea Drive incident, Cromwell said.

Police said a woman called them about 6:23 a.m. Wednesday saying a man whom she knew threatened her and had a gun, according to Montgomery County police spokeswoman Rebecca Innocenti.

Rappoport later confirmed the woman was the man’s girlfriend and that his relatives live nearby.

The woman left the home on the 600 block of Azalea Drive but the man remained inside, according to Innocenti.

Police widened their search of the area, believing he was no longer at the home on Azalea Drive, but police found and apprehended him there around 9 a.m. Rappoport said there were never any threats to police, and no weapon has been recovered.

The suspect was taken into custody with no injuries.,