Police: Laurel man killed wife, stepdaughter -- Gazette.Net


This story was updated 4:20 p.m., May 13, 2013.

After a 59-year-old man allegedly killed his wife and stepdaughter, shot at his 15-year-old son and nearly killed himself Monday at their Laurel home, Prince George’s police are trying to determine what led to the “tragic situation.”

About 10 a.m. on Malcolm Drive, Ronnie Lee Rainey, who is now in police custody, called police and said he killed his family and was going to kill himself. Officers responded and negotiated with Rainey via several phone conversations, and the man ultimately came out of his home unarmed, said Julie Parker, a county police spokeswoman. The standoff lasted less than an hour, police said.

After police made the arrest, a SWAT team entered the home to clear the scene where they discovered the bodies of Rainey’s wife, 50-year-old Lisa Renee Rainey, and his stepdaughter, 27-year-old Ariale Chantre Shelton.

Both bodies were found “on the first floor, not far from the front door,” Parker said.

The 15-year-old son was shot at but ran away unharmed, police said. Parker said police also received a 911 call from the son after he escaped.

Parker said another man was outside of the home at the time of the incident and ran away as the 15-year-old escaped. His identity or relation to the family or the incident currently is still being determined, Parker said. She said both are being interviewed by police.

Debbie Lee of Hanover said she was Lisa Rainey’s best friend and had met her years ago in the Army. She said both Lisa Rainey and Ronnie Rainey were retired Army medics.

Lee was on scene Monday morning after she had gotten a call from Lisa Rainey’s mother, asking her to check on the home. She said the mother received an alarming call from someone inside the home, though she would not say who called her or what was said.

“That’s why he’s a coward. If he shot them and not himself, he’s a coward,” Lee said. “It’s just senseless ... She was an awesome friend. A beautiful girl.”

Lee said the couple was married for 15 years.

Rachel Gilbertz, 18, of Laurel lives near where the incident took place and said her younger sister goes to school with the 15-year-old who escaped. She said, according to her sister, the boy’s family seemed nice, kind and compassionate.

“It’s horrible that this happened. I wouldn’t imagine this happening in a million years,” she said.

Parker said police determined no 911 calls were made from the family’s residence in the last five years.

The neighborhood street is expected to be closed off for the next several hours as the immediate investigation continues, police said.