ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT


FEATURED JOBS




Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Delicious
E-mail this article
Print this Article
advertisement

A woman was taken to a hospital Saturday to be treated for minor burns to her hands and face, state investigators report, after one or more people at a party she was attending at a Wicomico Shores home poured and ignited gasoline in a basement laundry room.

As many as 100 people were at the party on Army Navy Drive shortly after midnight that morning when the fire started, according to the state fire marshal’s office, and Mechanicsville volunteer firefighters report that they initially were told that numerous people were trapped inside.

Police earlier had been to the house, Mechanicsville Fire Chief John Raley wrote in an online report, and they joined firefighters in the Saturday morning response to the report of the fire, which was extinguished with a garden hose before they arrived. Four additional fire companies also were dispatched to the call.

Damage to the residence was estimated at $25,000, according to a notice of investigation by deputy fire marshal John Nelson. No arrests have been reported in the case.

Sixteen people were living at the two-story house, owned through a trust managed by Sherlene McClary, according to Deputy Chief Fire Marshal Duane Svites.

The 23-year-old woman suffering burns from the fire was a guest at the party, Svites said, adding that her name would not be released until after investigators talk with her about the fire.

jwharton@somdnews.com