Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
E-mail this article
Print this Article

By noon Wednesday, 33 of 36 students involved in a bus accident several hours earlier were released from the hospital. The driver of the bus also was released. School officials reported minor injuries to several students.

At 7:50 a.m. police reported a silver Cadillac SUV driven by a 47-year-old woman from Washington, D.C., struck the front of Charles County Public Schools’ Bus 62 on the 2400 block of Davis Road in Waldorf. The bus, with 36 students and a bus driver on board, was headed to North Point High School. All students on the bus were North Point students, school officials reported.

Charles County Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Diane Richardson said it is not clear just how the accident occurred due to conflicting accounts.

She said some students and the female bus driver were taken by ambulance to University of Maryland Charles Regional Medical Center in La Plata and a majority of students were transported to the La Plata hospital on another bus.

Richardson said fire and emergency medical services personnel rode on the other bus with the students.

Richardson said there were some injuries to students, but none were life-threatening.

Charles County Public Schools spokeswoman Katie O’Malley-Simpson said while not all of the students on board were injured, all but one who was released to a parent at the scene were taken to the hospital.

“In a bus accident of this magnitude we take the children to the hospital to be checked out by health care professionals,” she said.

“[The] Majority of the people on the bus were not injured,” O’Malley-Simpson said. Those who were injured, she said, received minor injuries.

Richardson said the driver of the SUV had serious injuries, but they were not life-threatening. She was flown to an area hospital. No update on her condition was available from police by mid-afternoon.

O’Malley-Simpson said North Point staff contacted parents of students who were on the bus alerting them of the crash. After all those parents were contacted, the school made contact with all North Point parents alerting them of an accident and that all classes were operating on normal schedules.