Bowie barn reopens after deadly horse virus scare -- Gazette.Net



advertisement

A horse that was euthanized Sept. 21 at a barn in Bowie after it was found paralyzed tested negative for a fatal and contagious horse virus veterinarians suspected infected the animal, said David Zipf, chief veterinarian for the Maryland Racing Commission.

Barn 16 at the Bowie Training Center on Race Track Road, where the horse was found and five other horses remained quarantined, has reopened after test results came back negative on Sept. 24, Zipf said.

Veterinarians suspected the 4-year-old horse named “Clonmeen Lass” was infected with equine herpesvirus 1, a highly contagious virus that destroys the nervous system causing paralysis, he said.

“We were all relieved,” Zipf said. “Our assumption is that it was probably botulism toxicity.”

He said botulism, a bacteria found in soil, is rare in horses and noncontagious although often deadly.