Teen convicted of murder, armed robbery in December 2010 Glenmont slaying -- Gazette.Net


Trenton Robinson was 15 when he participated in the shooting death of a Glenmont man four days before Christmas in 2010. Now, he faces the possibility of life in prison, after being convicted Friday in Montgomery County Circuit Court of murder and other charges.

On Friday, after five hours of deliberations, a jury found Robinson, now 17, of Washington, D.C., guilty of first-degree murder, armed robbery, conspiracy to commit armed robbery, and use of a handgun in the commission of a crime. He was found not guilty of conspiring to commit murder and of premeditated first-degree murder.

“We are pleased with this verdict. Mr. Robinson is a dangerous man, now he is off the streets,” said Ramon Korionoff, a spokesman for the county State’s Attorney’s Office.

Montgomery County Circuit Court Judge Mary Beth McCormick has scheduled Robinson’s sentencing for Jan. 3, 2014.

Robinson’s lawyers were not immediately available to speak after the verdict was announced. A call to his home in northwest D.C. was not answered Friday afternoon.

According to charging documents and police, Robinson, or “Smoke,” was one of two people who robbed Doodley Derose, 19, of Hutchinson Lane in Silver Spring on Dec. 21, 2010, in broad daylight.

Though he was 15 years old at the time of the shooting, police charged him as an adult because of the seriousness of the crime.

Montgomery County Police alleged later that a friend of Derose had arranged for two men — now believed to be Robinson and Corey Dreshaun Yates, 24, of D.C. — to buy marijuana from Derose at his home.

The friend, Yates and Robinson arrived at Derose’s door about 1:30 p.m., and Yates and Robinson robbed Derose at gunpoint.

Derose grabbed his friend and pulled him into the house, and then tried to shut the door on the other two, police later said.

Then, the men shot through the door, striking Derose in the chest once. Derose died later that day at Suburban Hospital.

Yates, also of D.C., turned himself in to Montgomery County police Jan. 3, 2011. Police issued an arrest warrant for Robinson Jan. 4, 2011.

Yates pleaded guilty to murder in January 2012. Earlier this year, Montgomery County Circuit Court Judge Eric Johnson sentenced him to life in prison, suspending all but 20 years of the sentence.

Linois Derose, Doodley Derose’s father, told The Gazette in 2011 that Doodley did not know Yates and Robinson.

Police said later that they believed Derose and Yates might have known each other at high school. The two both attended John F. Kennedy High School in Silver Spring, police said.