ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT


FEATURED JOBS



Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Delicious
E-mail this article
Print this Article
advertisement

A St. Mary’s man wounded by police gunfire this week during their response to a domestic assault call has been released from a hospital — and from the county jail — following his arrest on charging papers in the case alleging he cut a woman and child with a knife.

John Otha Dickens Jr., 24, first was released from custody last Sunday on $7,500 bond posted by a bondsman after Dickens’ arrest on charges of committing a second-degree assault earlier that day on Tyneesha Erica Johnson.

Dickens returned to her Lexington Park residence on Monday morning, where court papers allege he cut Johnson’s 5-year-old daughter in the face and also wounded one of Johnson’s friends, before threatening to kill Johnson and attacking her in a bedroom, until sheriff’s Cpl. John Kirkner arrived and shot him.

Dickens was flown to a hospital, according to sheriff’s detectives, and he was released before his new arrest Tuesday on charges from Monday’s incident, including three offenses of first-degree assault.

A court commissioner then authorized Dickens’ pretrial release on those charges on $5,000 bond, which was posted later that day by the same Baltimore bondsman who posted bond following the suspect’s arrest Sunday.

Dickens was told this week by a court commissioner, court papers state, to have no contact with Johnson.

“They told her that they weren’t going to let him out, and they did,” Johnson’s mother said Wednesday at a court hearing, where a judge issued a temporary protective order barring Dickens from going back to the residence or having any contact with Johnson or her children. The judge said that the family could contact county prosecutors to seek to have Dickens’ pretrial release revoked.

jwharton@somdnews.com