Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
E-mail this article
Print this Article

A St. Mary’s sheriff’s deputy leading the police response into a Lexington Park home’s bedroom during a domestic assault shot and wounded the alleged culprit, the agency reported Monday.

The suspect had been charged with second-degree assault the day before in a separate incident.

A helicopter crew flew 24-year-old John Otha Dickens Jr. to Prince George’s Hospital Center to be treated for non-life-threatening wounds, according to the sheriff’s office, and Cpl. John Kirkner, a 13-year veteran of the agency, was placed on administrative leave as detectives and internal-affairs officers further investigate the matter.

At about 6:30 a.m. Monday, a woman fleeing the Southampton neighborhood residence told a 911 dispatcher that Dickens had assaulted her with a knife, and that Dickens was going to harm another female occupant in the residence with the knife, according to the sheriff’s office. A witness told deputies arriving at the scene that Dickens had a knife or a handgun, the sheriff’s office reports, and they heard screams coming from an upstairs bedroom, where they found Dickens assaulting the other woman.

“He was threatening to shoot and stab his girlfriend,” St. Mary’s State’s Attorney Richard Fritz (R) said Tuesday, adding that deputies found Dickens on top of the woman, and punching her in what appeared to be “stabbing motions.”

Kirkner told Dickens to stop, and when Dickens did not comply, the sheriff’s office reports, Kirkner fired two rounds from his agency-issued firearm, which ended the assault.

The knife was not found in Dickens’ hands when he was shot, the prosecutor said, but the woman who had escaped, and a young child at the residence, already had been cut.

They “were taken to [MedStar] St. Mary’s Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries,” Sheriff Tim Cameron (R) said Monday at his agency’s headquarters in Leonardtown.

On Sunday, Dickens was released from jail on $7,500 bond after his arrest earlier that day on two charges of second-degree assault in court papers alleging he repeatedly punched Tyneesha Erica Johnson in the back of the head at the Bristol Avenue residence.

Johnson told police that Dickens, her boyfriend, also had assaulted her early Saturday morning, and that she and Dickens have lived together for about three months, along with her three children who were present during the altercation, according to a statement of probable cause filed in the case by Trooper Rhett Jackson of the Maryland State Police.

The suspect’s father, 48-year-old John Otha Dickens Sr., is serving life in prison after being convicted of first-degree murder in the 2004 shooting death of a former girlfriend as she knelt on the floor of her mother’s home in Lexington Park’s Westbury neighborhood.