ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT


FEATURED JOBS



Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Delicious
E-mail this article
Print this Article
advertisement

Someone set fire to combustible materials Saturday afternoon inside and outside a bathroom at P.D. Brown library in Waldorf.

At 2:20 p.m. Oct. 26, a customer noticed the fire, and it was quickly extinguished by a library employee, according to information from the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office.

Charles County Library Director Emily Ferren said a customer walked into the woman’s restroom and noticed a small fire and immediately told an employee.

Ferren said the fire had not escalated enough to spread, and an employee put it out.

She said she was at the P.D. Brown location at the time of the fire. Police and the fire marshal’s office responded within 10 minutes.

Deputy Fire Marshal Melissa Bean reported that there was $1,000 in structural damage and $500 worth of damage to library contents.

Ferren said the incident was captured on video surveillance cameras near but not inside the rest rooms. She said the fire was small, and there was no need to evacuate the estimated 35 people in the library at the time.

She said a professional cleaning service came in that night to clean the damaged areas. A diaper changing station had melted and will be replaced, she said.

“I’m very pleased that everyone responded quickly,” Ferren said about library staff, police and the fire marshal’s office.

Ferren said at this point it’s just a matter of identifying the person in the video.

She said all four library branches have security cameras.

Anyone with any information regarding the incident is asked to call 443-550-6834.

Electrical malfunction causes house fire

An accidental fire in Bryans Road at 9:56 p.m. Oct. 26 caused $30,000 in damage to a single-family home and its contents.

Deputy Fire Marshal Melissa Bean said an electrical malfunction in one of the bedrooms started the blaze in the residence in the 6900 block of Skyline Place. The resident of the house reported the fire, she said.

Forty-six firefighters from the Bryans Road, Indian Head, La Plata, Marbury, Potomac Heights and Waldorf volunteer departments and the Naval District Washington station on the U.S. Navy base in Indian Head had the fire under control in 15 minutes.

The home sustained heavy fire damage, Bean said. There were no injuries as a result of the fire, and the occupant is being assisted by family and friends, she said.

Incendiary device set on fire in Hughesville

Someone intentionally ignited an incendiary device that was placed at 11 a.m. Oct. 26 in the road on Colonel Beall Place in Hughesville.

There was no damage to the road, Bean said, and there was no need for any fire department response.

Anyone with information should call 443-550-6834.