Police shoot man Monday night in Germantown -- Gazette.Net


This story was updated at 5:30 p.m. on Nov. 19, 2013.

Police shot and killed a man in Germantown who had called them earlier that night saying he had just shot and killed his grandmother and roommate.

Antoine Duane Goodrum’s initial claim that he had killed two people turned out to be untrue.

When Goodrum, 27, was shot, he was wearing a tactical utility vest and carrying numerous extra magazines loaded with ammunition, according to Montgomery County Police Capt. Jim Daly.

The events unfolded around 9:15 p.m.,when police received a call from Goodrum, who said he had just shot and killed his grandmother and his roommate at his home on Red Robin Terrace, according to a police statement.

Police said they found the two unharmed, but discovered a parked car near the home riddled with bullet holes. Police said several shots were fired from inside the home.

Police heard other gunshots being fired in the neighborhood, called for back-up, and created a perimeter using police dogs and a helicopter as they searched for Goodrum Monday night. They found him at Great Seneca Highway and Grotto Lane, police spokeswoman Angela Cruz said.

Police said Goodrum was armed with an AR-15 rifle and refused to comply with officers’ commands.

According to the police report, officers negotiated with Goodrum for 12 minutes before he was shot. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Daly said in his report that seven officers fired their weapons during the incident.

The officers involved in the shooting were: Joseph Arnold, 5th District, 11 years of service; Peter Camp, 6th District, 15 years of service; Edward Clarke, SWAT, 10 years of service; Lee Guzinski, 5th District, 15 years of service; James Reed, SWAT, 11 years of service; Sgt. Adam Taylor, 6th District/Decentralized SWAT, 15 years of service; and Sgt. Alexander Yokley, 6th District, 9 years of service.

They are all on paid, administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation, which is standard procedure after a shooting.

Marcos del Castillo, a neighbor near where the shooting took place, said he didn’t know the people living in the home on Red Robin Terrace.

At about 9:30 p.m., he and his housemate were preparing to go to bed, he said.

“We heard a series of loud bangs” that sounded like “loud hammering,” he said.

He didn’t call police immediately because he wasn’t sure it was gunfire.

“I don’t have any experience with guns,” he said.

Minutes later, though, he looked out a window, and saw that a truck parked outside had one of its windows shot out, he said. He called 911 soon after.

Then, he heard gunfire farther away.

For 20 minutes, he and his housemate huddled on the floor, and tried to stay away from the house’s exterior walls or windows.

“We were definitely both very scared,” he said.

They never saw the man who fired the gunshots, he said, but officers came to the house to let them know everything was all right.

One officer told him, “Don’t worry, he’s dead,” del Castillo said.