Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
E-mail this article
Print this Article

A Leonardtown man, who was charged last month with assaulting a girlfriend, remained jailed without bond this week on charging papers alleging he tried to kill the woman last Thursday at her Valley Lee home.

Patrick James Hutching, 31, formerly of Lusby, was charged with attempted first-degree murder in the attack on Bridgette F. Hayden, who court papers state was found on the ground and “bleeding profusely” from a large cut on her neck.

St. Mary’s sheriff’s deputies arriving at the scene began life-saving efforts to help the injured woman as rescue squad volunteers responded, investigators report, and she initially was taken to MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital in Leonardtown before she was transferred to the Washington Hospital Center.

“She got out last night,” Capt. Terry Black of the sheriff’s criminal investigations division said Tuesday morning. “She is recovering from her injuries.”

Hutching and Hayden were arguing over the telephone last week before two people drove him to her home, according to court papers.

“They [earlier] observed him sharpening a fixed-blade knife, and making claims he was going to cut the victim’s throat,” detective Cpl. Thomas Hedderich wrote in a statement of probable cause in the case.

Hutching later called one of the two witnesses, charging papers state, and said “he had just killed the victim and needed assistance discarding the body. Believing he was kidding, [the] witness ... returned to the victim’s residence and found her on the ground.”

Hutching was no longer at the scene, detectives report, and the investigators found the suspect at a relative’s home in Calvert County.

Hutching admitted to police that he got into an argument and subsequent fight with the woman, and that he later discarded his clothing and threw the knife he used to cut her into a body of water, according to charging papers.

A judge ordered Friday that Hutching be held in custody at the St. Mary’s jail without bond.

On Nov. 17, online court records state, Hutching was released on $10,000 bond after his arrest on a charge of second-degree assault in court papers alleging that four days earlier, he threw Hayden into a wall and onto the floor of a residence where they were living in Leonardtown.