ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT


FEATURED JOBS



Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Delicious
E-mail this article
Print this Article
advertisement

Deputy state fire marshals have charged a Waldorf man with involvement in two separate fires.

Lorenzo Charles Thompson, 20, of Waldorf turned himself in Saturday at the Maryland State Police La Plata barrack without incident, the Maryland Office of the State Fire Marshals reported.

Thompson was involved in setting two intentional fires after 6 p.m. Feb. 6, the fire marshal’s office reported.

The first incident was a metal trash bin at the Eva Turner Elementary School at 1000 Bannister Circle in Waldorf. The fire resulted in $750 in damage and was controlled by four volunteers in five minutes. The second fire was in an unoccupied townhouse at in the 4500 block of Ruston Place in Waldorf. The fire caused about $3,000 in damage and also was extinguished by Waldorf firefighters in five minutes.

Investigators determined that the second fire was intentionally set on the carpeting of the living room.

Thompson was charged with first-degree arson and arson of a trash container.

He was being held at the Charles County jail pending a bond review hearing.

The investigation is continuing, and more arrests are pending, the fire marshal’s office reported.

Laundry room fire damages home

Five family members were able to evacuate their home after being alerted by a smoke alarm of a fire originating in the laundry room, the fire marshal’s office reported.

At 12:57 a.m. Feb. 6, the owner of a home on the 2700 block of Middletown Road in Waldorf was awakened by the sound of a smoke alarm.

Deputy Fire Marshal Don Brenneman said when the homeowner investigated, he noticed heavy smoke coming from the home’s kitchen area.

The family, which included three children, were able to evacuate the home and contact 911, Brenneman said.

Forty-three firefighters from Waldorf, Westlake, Bel Alton, Brandywine, Potomac and La Plata volunteer fire departments had the fire under control in 20 minutes.

Brenneman said the fire was due to a problem with the washing machine that was near the kitchen.

The family was displaced and is being assisted by the American Red Cross, he said.

There was an estimated $100,000 damage to the house.

Jeff Duer, spokesman for the Waldorf Volunteer Fire Department, said early detection was a key factor in this case. He said there is a high possibility that the outcome would not have been as good if the smoke detector wasn’t working.

The cause of the fire was ruled accidental.