Fire at Rockville Washington Gas facility torches four-bay garage -- Gazette.Net



advertisement

This story was updated at 8:30 a.m. Feb. 13, 2014

Montgomery County firefighters spent much of the early morning Wednesday battling a Rockville blaze that caused about $1 million in damages and left a gas company’s garage torched, but did not injure anyone.

The fire, at a Washington Gas fleet dispatch facility at 11801 Nebel Street, broke out shortly after 6 a.m., according Montgomery County Fire and Rescue spokeswoman Beth Anne Nesselt.

Fire officials say the fire began in a truck in one of the facility’s garage bays, and then spread to a tire-storage area. The inferno left the interior of the four-bay garage blackened and charred, and caused part of the facility’s ceiling to collapse. According to fire officials, it caused about $1 million in damages, half to the building’s structure and half to its contents.

Firefighters who battled the fire said they assumed a “defensive position,” meaning they did not enter the building to fight the fire and used a ladder truck to spray the fire from above.

At the height of the fire, about 75 firefighters, from stations in Rockville, Kensington, Bethesda, Wheaton and Silver Spring, were working to put it out. The fire was out around 7:50 a.m., Nesselt said.

Washington Gas officials at the scene declined to talk to The Gazette.

“The facility was evacuated and the investigation continues,” said Washington Gas spokesman Ruben Rodriguez in a phone interview. “Operations have not been altered due to this incident. We were still responding to all calls.”



sjbsmith@gazette.net