Rockville man charged in deadly Germantown shooting held without bail -- Gazette.Net


A Rockville man was gunned down Tuesday night at a Germantown intersection by a man he owed thousands of dollars, Montgomery County police alleged in arrest records.

Kelvin M. Parache, 29, of the 1700 block of Henry Road in Rockville, was charged with first-degree murder and a weapons offense in connection with the death.

On Friday, Montgomery County District Court Judge Eugene Wolfe ordered Parache held without bail. His attorney, Terrence M. McGann, did not dispute a recommendation that there be no bail.

The events leading up to the fatal shooting of James Allen Frazier, 21, of Rockville, were laid out by police and witness accounts in charging documents.

According to the records, Frazier owed Parache $3,000 and had been avoiding him out of fear he was going to get beaten up.

On the day of the shooting, Parache trailed Frazier around Montgomery County in a gray BMW. That night, Frazier stopped at a McDonald’s in Gaithersburg, where he hitched a Ride On bus to the 11800 block of Oxbridge Drive in Germantown, the scene of the shooting.

At around 10 p.m., Montgomery County police, responding to Frederick Road and Oxbridge Drive for a report of a shooting, found Frazier wounded and lying in the street.

A 911 caller reported hearing multiple gunshots and saw a man with a gun standing over Frazier, according to court records.

Frazier died at the hospital that night.

The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner ruled the death to be a homicide.

Frazier was shot in the back.

Detectives linked Parache to the crime by tracking his cellphone’s location, according to arrest records.

He was arrested Thursday afternoon in the gray BMW.

When interviewed by police about the killing, Parache reportedly gave different accounts.

At first, he denied knowing the victim, according to police testimony in arrest records.

But when police said they recovered the gun from his girlfriend’s home in Silver Spring, Parache changed his story.

Parache then claimed that he and Frazier met up in Germantown the night of the shooting and that it was Frazier who produced a handgun.

The two got into a fight and Frazier got shot during the struggle, Parache told police.

In court on Wednesday, Assistant State’s Attorney Laura Chase said Parache’s extensive criminal record and the fact he was due for sentencing in an unrelated case next week was reason enough for the no-bail ruling.

“He’s a flight risk,” Chase said.

Circuit Court records show that Parache pleaded guilty for his role in a burglary at his brother’s ex-girlfriend’s parents’ home in August.

Roughly $800 cash and $100,000 worth of jewelry was taken, according to court records filed for that case. A search of Parache’s prior residence at 1100 Higgins Place turned up $50,000 in stolen jewelry and a loaded Ruger 9mm semi-automatic handgun.

He was released after posting $75,000 bail and was scheduled for sentencing on March 13 for that case, Circuit Court records show.

McGann said he was representing Parache in that case, as well.

Under a plea bargain, attorneys asked for a flat 12-year sentence that would have included the time he’d have to serve for violating probation on a 2009 assault conviction.

For the murder charge, a preliminary hearing is scheduled for April 4.

McGann declined to comment on the murder case.

“I don’t know enough about the facts of this case to make a comment,” he said.