Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
E-mail this article
Leave a Comment
Print this Article

Springfield man killed by wife’s car

A Springfield man is dead after being run over by a car being driven by his wife.

Fairfax County police said that Wednesday morning around 10 a.m., Chong Sik Kim, 84, of the 7300 block of Hooes Road, walked out of his house and down the driveway to his mailbox to check the mail.

Police said that as he was doing that, his 72-year-old wife got into the couple’s 2009 Lexus RX5 and proceeded to back it down their driveway.

“It appears that Mr. Kim slipped on some ice and fell to the ground,” said Fairfax County Police spokesman Don Gotthardt. “Mrs. Kim apparently did not see him and the Lexus appears to have immediately backed over him.”

Gotthardt said Kim was transported to Inova Fairfax Hospital, where he was pronounced dead a short time later. Neither speed nor alcohol were factors in the crash, and Kim’s wife has not been charged, he said. Policed said it is unknown if the couple had planned on going somewhere together or if Mrs. Kim was leaving somewhere on her own.

One dead, 16 injured in Lorton bus crash

On March 23 at 3:30 a.m. Virginia State Police said they were called to the scene of a two-vehicle crash involving a 16-passenger shuttle bus in the southbound lanes of I-95, just south of Exit 163 for Lorton.

Police said an America Transportation shuttle bus was traveling south on I-95 when, according to witnesses, a white two-door Acura traveling at an extreme rate of speed swerved into the bus’s travel lane.

Police said further investigation concluded that the two vehicles collided, which caused the driver of the shuttle bus to lose control. The shuttle bus then ran off the right side of the road, struck the guardrail, and overturned. The Acura continued southbound on I-95, never stopping, according to state police.

Thanks to witness information, state police were able to track down the white car to a residence in Dumfries. By 6:10 a.m. that same morning, police said they had located the Acura and its driver. Raphael Manuel Barrientos, 31, was taken into custody without incident, they reported.

Barrientos was charged with felony hit-and-run and remains in custody at the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center, according to police. Additional charges are pending consultation with the Commonwealth’s Attorney.

Police said a total of 17 individuals - -16 passengers and the driver-- were transported to nearby hospitals for treatment. Nine of the bus’s occupants were ejected.

All passengers were from Prince William County and had been in Washington, D.C., Saturday night for a birthday party. The shuttle bus was returning to Prince William County at the time of the crash.

Two passengers were flown from the scene to Inova Fairfax Hospital--one of the two, David Alberto Sanchez, 24, of Woodbridge, succumbed to his injuries later that morning at the hospital. The driver, who was not wearing a seat belt, and one other passenger were treated for serious, but non-life-threatening injuries. The remaining 13 passengers suffered minor injuries.

Cigarette causes $50,000 damage to Fairview home

Fairfax County Firefighters responded to a house fire March 23 at approximately 4 a.m., in the Fairview area of Fairfax County. The single-family home is located in the 5300 block of Jennifer Drive.

Firefighters said they encountered heavy smoke and fire coming from the rear of the two-story home upon their arrival. The fire was brought under control in approximately 15 minutes. All six occupants escaped unharmed prior to firefighters arriving, they said. Smoke alarms were present, but firefightrers said they did not activate. Four adults and two children have been displaced. Red Cross is supporting the displaced occupants. There were no injuries. According to fire investigators, the fire was accidental. An improperly discarded cigarette on the deck caused the fire, they said.

Cab driver robbed by armed man in Franconia

Fairfax County police say a cab driver was robbed in the 7800 block of Lambkin Court on March 25 shortly after noon. Police said an unidentified man was driving a cab when he was pulled over to pick up a fare. Police said that once in the cab, the rider ordered the driver to stop, displayed a handgun and took cash and some personal property. He then exited the cab and fled on foot, according to police. Police said there were no injuries. The suspect was described as black, in his 20’s, and about 5 feet 10 inches tall.

--Gregg MacDonald