Aspen Hill fire affects more than 40 families -- Gazette.Net


At least 44 families were impacted by an apartment fire in Aspen Hill on Thursday evening.

The fire caused $950,000 and significantly damaged 16 units at Manor Apartments in the 143000 block of Georgia Avenue, just south of the MD 200. Another 34 residences were temporarily impacted by the fire, Montgomery County Fire & Rescue spokeswoman Beth Anne Nesselt said Friday morning.

Nesselt said at least 100 firefighters were at the scene at the height of the blaze.

Pete Piringer, a fire and rescue spokesman, tweeted photos and updates from the scene Thursday.

At around 7 p.m., rescuers were dispatched to a fire that started on the second floor of a three-story apartment building. The fire was under control about an hour later, according to Piringer’s tweets.

The cause of the fire was deemed accidental, blamed on electrical wiring, Piringer tweeted.