ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT


FEATURED JOBS



Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Delicious
E-mail this article
Print this Article
advertisement

A stove’s burner left on at a low setting ignited nearby materials, resulting in last week’s house fire that killed an 81-year-old woman, state investigators report, at her Lexington Park area residence.

Marion Wood Gatton died from smoke inhalation, complicated by thermal burn injuries, during the Wednesday afternoon blaze at the home off Route 235 in the St. James community, the state fire marshal’s office reported Monday from preliminary results of an autopsy by the state medical examiner’s office.

Two other people required hospital care after the fire. Delores Pennington, a caregiver who tried to put out the fire before going outside to call 911, was treated for burn injuries to her hands, officials report. Jon Spindler, a U.S. Marine corporal who stopped at the scene and tried to rescue Gatton from her bed, was treated for smoke inhalation.

jwharton@somdnews.com