Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
E-mail this article
Print this Article

A New Jersey man reported missing at about noon Wednesday was found dead at 5:30 p.m. later that same day in Prince Frederick.

Law enforcement officers from Calvert, Prince George’s and St. Mary’s counties, as well as those from New Jersey and Connecticut, worked to locate Hani Heiba, 29, before he was found dead, Maryland State Police Prince Frederick barrack Commander Sean Morris said Thursday morning.

Maryland State Police investigators from the Criminal Enforcement Division Central South Region sent out a press release Wednesday, May 7, seeking information about the whereabouts of Heiba, who was last seen Sunday and whose rental car was found abandoned in Prince Frederick. He was first reported missing through the Springfield Police Department in New Jersey, a press release states.

The body did not reveal any gunshot or stab wounds, and the cause of death has not yet been determined, although Maryland State Police believes the cause to be medical, Morris said. The body is currently in Baltimore at the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, and the results of the autopsy were expected to be released Thursday.

Heiba, of Springfield, N.J., was reportedly working in Maryland, the press release states. Det. Sgt. Jeffrey Jones of the Maryland State Police said Heiba was a contractor or engineer at the Patuxent River Naval Air Station in St. Mary’s County. Jones also said he believed that Heiba was not married.

His body was discovered by a Calvert County Sheriff’s Office deputy in the woods near the Holiday Inn in Prince Frederick, where his rental car was located in the parking lot, Morris said.

A press release states that Heiba was found in a heavily wooded ravine 166 yards from the front entrance of the hotel, located at the 300 block of Merrimac Court. Emergency medical personnel pronounced him dead at the scene.

Law enforcement officials had been in constant contact with the man’s family since the search for him in Prince Frederick began Wednesday. Before he was found dead, Heiba reportedly had last been seen at the Avis Rental Car office located at Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport on Sunday, May 4, at 11:30 p.m. According to the release, Heiba routinely traveled from New Jersey to St. Mary’s County for work. He was known to have left New Jersey on May 4, and it is believed he may have traveled to Maryland by train and then rented a car to complete his commute.

Authorities completed an extensive search throughout the Prince Frederick area Wednesday, encompassing surrounding local businesses, hotels and Calvert Memorial Hospital, according to the release.

Morris expressed thanks to the Calvert County Sheriff’s Office for contributing to the search, as well as Calvert County citizens who called in with tips.