Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
E-mail this article
Print this Article

A Baltimore man was killed in a car crash Sunday after fleeing in his vehicle when a trooper attempted to stop him for a traffic violation, according to a Maryland State Police Prince Frederick barrack press release.

The crash, which occurred shortly after 3 p.m. on Route 4, south of Sixes Road, was the culmination of the driver of a 2013 Mitsubishi Lancer’s effort to elude Tfc. Shareef Lewis, who observed that the vehicle did not have a front registration plate from where he was monitoring traffic in the crossover at Route 4 near Industry Lane, the release states.

The driver’s name is being withheld until his family members can be located and notified, according to the release.

The Maryland State Police Crash Team responded to and is investigating the collision, which was the result of a pursuit that lasted less than three minutes and spanned about 3½ miles, the release states.

The trooper pulled onto Route 4 and activated his lights and siren in an attempt to stop the vehicle, which was heading north, according to the release.

The release states that a preliminary investigation indicates that the Mitsubishi initially pulled off the shoulder and then fled north on Route 4 when the trooper’s car pulled up behind. The trooper notified the barrack and followed the Mitsubishi, which turned onto a side road, then onto Main Street in Prince Frederick. At the intersection of Main Street and Route 4, the Mitsubishi’s driver turned left and proceeded south in the northbound lanes of the highway, swerving back and forth across traffic.

When the driver of the Mitsubishi began driving south in the northbound lanes, the barrack duty officer, who was monitoring the pursuit, ordered the end of the pursuit out of concern for public safety, the release states. Moments later, the Mitsubishi struck a northbound 2010 Ford Escape on Route 4 south of Sixes Road.

Ryan C. Fisher, 31, of Port Republic was the only occupant of the Ford Escape and, at the time the press release was sent Sunday night, was undergoing treatment at Prince George’s Hospital Center for injuries he sustained in the collision.

Emergency medical personnel responded to the scene, and two Maryland State Police helicopters flew both drivers to the Prince George’s Hospital Center, according to the release. While it is unknown why the driver of the Mitsubishi refused to stop for the trooper, the investigation is continuing.