Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
E-mail this article
Print this Article

Rock was resting Monday afternoon at his family’s home off Loveville Road, recovering from injuries the American pit bull suffered five days earlier from a bullet that police say was fired by a trooper defending herself during an attack by the pet.

“The bullet went straight through,” Raquel Stone said of the .40-caliber round that entered the dog’s chest and exited from his front left leg, also striking his right hind leg.

“He’s coming along really well,” she said outside her home along a quiet street, where her mother also spoke of the 5-year-old dog’s helpfulness and affection.

“He looks out for me. He’ll follow behind me,” Mary Arlene Evans said. “When I come home [from day care], he likes to come and lay at my feet. He is a loving, sweet animal.”

Rock also has another role, Stone said, including being there for her husband on the morning of July 16, when he fell unconscious, and responding police and rescue volunteers encountered Rock at the residence.

“In my mind, he’s protecting his owner,” Stone said. “He was in the right to do what he did.”

What the dog did, according to Maryland State Police, was lunge at Trooper Allison Oyler as she entered the home, grab a baton out of her hand and bite her on the right foot before she fired the pistol while in fear for her safety. The wounded dog ran away after it was shot.

Additional authorities responded and took part in a search for the dog, but Stone said the dog remained unaccounted for until it heard the sound of a familiar voice, her 18-year-old nephew, James Thompson Jr.

“He was the only one that Rock responded to,” she said, “and started crawling back.”

The wounded dog, treated at a veterinary hospital, was not seized as a result of the incident that occurred on its owners property, and St. Mary’s animal control officers are completing their agency’s investigation.

Also receiving medical care last week was Stone’s 45-year-old husband, Ramon Stone, who was taken from the scene to MedStar St. Mary’s Hospital and released on Thursday evening. He said the condition that rendered him unconscious last week is still being diagnosed, but that he recalls being in a space between the home’s living room and kitchen, as opposed to lying against the opened front door where police say the trooper’s confrontation with the dog occurred.

“I remember being over here” by the kitchen, he said. “I don’t remember being in the doorway.”

The trooper was the first person responding to the emergency call to get to the scene, and one official noted that “every second” counted in getting help to the ailing man.

Raquel Stone said a family member also arriving at the scene recalled that the trooper initially tried to distract and calm down the dog by throwing some sweets on the floor.

“Right now,” Stone said, “we’re looking at $2,700 [in veterinary bills] for the emergency visit and the surgery.”