Four charged in Silver Spring armed robbery, kidnapping -- Gazette.Net


Four people have been charged in connection with an armed robbery and kidnapping in June in which armed intruders held a man in a Silver Spring hotel room and forced his friend to withdraw money from a bank.

Montgomery County police said in a news release Thursday that two people were charged on July 7, one on July 9 and one on July 10.

They identified the following suspects:

• Steven Allen Graham, 42, of the 800 block of Darien Place in Upper Marlboro, charged July 7.

• Vusumuzi Mchunu, 39, of the 14700 block of 4th Street in Laurel, July 7.

• Anthony Allen Graham, 46, of the 1100 block of F Street in Washington, D.C., July 9.

• Nikita Kenyatta Corey, 38, of 12000 block of Birchview Drive in Clinton, July 10.

All were charged with two counts apiece of armed robbery, robbery, first-degree assault, use of a firearm in the commission of a felony and false imprisonment.

They also were charged with one count each of first-degree burglary, theft of more than $1,000 and less than $10,000, and theft of more than $10,000 and less than $100,000.

Police said they are looking for a fifth person who was briefly part of the crime.

The episode began at the Courtyard Marriott at 12521 Prosperity Drive in Silver Spring on June 26, when four men knocked on a hotel room door at about 6:30 a.m., police said.

When a Washington, D.C., man inside opened the door, the intruders entered. One male intruder, who is at large, had a gun and pointed it at the victim, threatening to kill him, police said.

The group stole $6,500 from the victim’s car.

Steven Graham also had a gun and demanded more money, police said.

The victim called a friend who lives in Takoma Park and asked him to come to the hotel room. Steven Graham and Mchunu forced the friend to go with them to a bank to withdraw money from his account. Corey drove the group to the Bank of America at 11499 Columbia Pike.

Steven Graham went inside the bank with the second victim, who wrote a note on a withdrawal slip, asking a teller to call police. Graham got suspicious when he saw the teller on the phone. He called Anthony Graham, who had stayed at the hotel room with the first victim.

Steven Graham, Mchunu and Corey fled from the bank, police said. Anthony Graham left the hotel room.

The first victim then went to a nearby Home Depot to call police.

No one was injured.

As part of Thursday’s news release, police gave additional background on the crimes. They said the Washington victim owed money to Mchunu, who on June 25 went to the Maryland Live Casino in Hanover, where he knew the victim planned to be. Mchunu called Corey, Steven Graham and Anthony Graham to help him collect the debt.

All four followed the man from the casino to the hotel. Police said Corey and Steven Graham rode up in the elevator with the man to see which room was his — about three hours before the group entered the room.