A trial for a teen who was charged with attempted murder, assault and possession of a firearm was canceled this week after he entered a guilty plea.

“Elijah has taken a plea and will be sentenced at a later date,” Hammad Matin, a private defense attorney, said of Elijah Miguel Miles.

Miles, 18, of Great Mills was charged as an adult with attempted first-degree and second-degree murder from a shooting in a neighborhood off Chancellor’s Run Road, along with assault and weapons offenses, on Dec. 4 last year.

Miles pleaded guilty to first-degree assault and a possession charge. Matin said the other charges will be dropped at sentencing, which is scheduled for June 24.

Back in December, charging papers said, Miles wounded Tyquan Samuel Wills, who was in a car parked on Shannon Street.

“After he got shot,” St. Mary’s sheriff’s Capt. Edward Willenborg said, “he tried to drive down the street and lost consciousness, and drove into a house.”

At the house on Athlone Drive, “Wills, who sustained multiple gunshot wounds, was able to report to police that defendant Elijah Miles shot him during an altercation,” according to a charges application filed by sheriff’s detective Brian P. Fennessey.

A witness told police that someone was standing outside the passenger side of the vehicle, before three loud “pops” were heard and the pedestrian ran away.

A lookout for Miles included an online post by the sheriff’s office the next day that he “was also reportedly seen in the area of Great Mills High School,” prompting a lockdown at the school to ensure the safety of its students and staff.

During the school lockdown, members of the St. Mary’s sheriff’s office SWAT team went through the building, classroom by classroom, as students remained in place. Students were dismissed early after classrooms were searched. A spokesperson for the sheriff’s office said last week that there was no confirmation that Miles was near the school that day.

In fact, he was arrested later that same day by Charles County sheriff’s deputies in a parking lot in that county, Willenborg said.

Wills, suffering one gunshot wound to his face and two in his back, originally was listed in critical condition after a helicopter crew flew him to a hospital, court papers state, but police said that his condition has improved.

“My understanding [is] he’s going to be OK,” Willenborg said.

Twitter: @KristenEntNews

Twitter: @KristenEntNews