The Southern Maryland Chain Chapter of The Links Inc. awarded nine scholarships to support continued learning experiences to high school seniors in Southern Maryland — three in each of Calvert, Charles and St. Mary’s counties.
One of the scholarships awarded is the Albertine T. Lancaster Memorial Scholarship, given in memory to honor her visionary leadership in the Southern Maryland Chain Chapter (1981-2007). She is remembered in the community for her leadership in social work, child welfare advocacy and as a member of the State Board of Education. Lancaster was highly respected throughout Maryland. Her life work was devoted to the well-being of children and families.
The Southern Maryland Chain Chapter of The Links awarded $4,500 ($1,500 per county) to the annual scholarship program. Since 1982, the chapter has awarded over $118,000 in scholarships. This year’s recipients were:
• Kelsey Lynn Herbert of Chopticon High School.
• Joan Wuraola Popoola of Great Mills High School, who received the Albertine T. Lancaster Memorial Award.
• Mya Shyann Stone of Chopticon High School.
• Stephanie Arlene Gibbs of Westlake High School.
• Cole Alexander Pryor of North Point High School.
• Eden Sarah Williams of Henry E. Lackey High School.
• Caitlin Brooke Cooper of Northern High School.
• Shelby Lynn Stockett of Calvert High School.
• Jonathan Thomas Wilkerson of Northern High School.
The organization is a national service organization of women who are linked in friendship to enhance the quality of life in the larger community. The Links was founded in 1946. The service program has five major facets which include: Services to Youth, National Trends and Services, International Trends and Services, The Arts and Health and Wellness.