A Lusby man has been arrested on charges related to a shooting incident Friday afternoon, Jan. 21, at the Appeal Landfill in Lusby.
According to a Calvert County Sheriff’s Office press release, the investigation revealed the suspect Patrick Allan Portzen, 39 of Lusby, “became involved in a verbal argument with an employee. Portzen threatened the employee and left in a vehicle. While exiting the Appeal Convenience Center, Portzen fired two shots.”
Documents submitted by sheriff’s office Detective Joshua Buck stated that a worker at the convenience center saw a male matching Portzen’s description removing a printer from a bin of discarded electronics. When the worker told the man he couldn’t take items from the bin, the man “became agitated at the worker,” Buck reported. The worker told investigators that the man threatened to “off” him.
Buck reported that another convenience center user who was emptying his trash at the facility “heard what sounded like two gun shots from the direction of the exit.”
The convenience center worker also said he heard the volleys.
The suspect fled the scene in a vehicle driven by a woman. The vehicle was seen traveling on northbound Route 2/4.
Deputies located that vehicle and made contact with the Portzen at a residence on Skyview Drive in the White Sands neighborhood in Lusby. A brief barricade situation occurred, with residents being advised to remain in their homes. The alert was broadcast to cellphones countywide and at least two nearby jurisdictions.
Portzen was taken into custody without incident, according to police, and no injuries were reported.
A woman who drove the vehicle from which the shots were allegedly fired has not been charged. Portzen told investigators he “threw firecrackers” out the window of the car when leaving.
However, Buck reported in charging papers that crime scene technicians recovered two .380 caliber shell casings from outside the convenience center gate.
There was no indication in the court papers whether a weapon related to the incident had been recovered.
Portzen has been charged with first-degree assault and reckless endangerment. After two reviews, he remained in jail without bond. A preliminary hearing on the case is scheduled for Feb. 22 in district court.
Anyone with information about this incident that might aid investigators is asked to contact Buck at Joshua.Buck@calvertcountymd.gov.